Monday, December 22, 2008

Food poisoning strikes health department holiday party

Food poisoning is nothing to joke about, but we just found it ironic that a group of health department employees out for their annual holiday party were all stricken by something from the buffet!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28355874

MSNBC.com reports that it may have been the 'diced cold ham' in a salad, or perhaps the handle everyone was using got contaminated somehow, but maybe if they all avoided the cold ham and just stuck to the vegetarian options this might not have happened.

People shouldn't be afraid of buffet dining, especially at holiday time it's the easiest and most hospitable way of satisfying large groups of people. Although there is a tendency to over eat at buffets, and also to waste a lot of food - because often peoples eyes are hungrier than their stomachs.

So we recommend that you enjoy the holiday (or cruise ship) buffets in moderation. Stick to the well heated or piping hot dishes fresh from the oven, stove or crock pot, and go vegetarian, or vegan as much as you can. Also helps to not be first on line for a buffet, this way you can see who keels over first! (just kidding)

Happy Holidays!

More recipe segments and videos to come this week!

Labels:

posted by hg blogger at 4:46 PM 1 comments links to this post